Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Brett Gardner Rips


MiLB.com: What is your greatest accomplishment, on or off the field?

BG: Just getting to where I am today. Obviously I haven't played in the Major Leagues but out of high school I wasn't recruited by hardly any colleges. I barely made the team at College of Charleston as a walk-on. But I've worked hard, just to make the college team and then to get a couple of at-bats and then to become a starter. Just getting an opportunity to play here for the Yankees and be here in big league camp, I'm just glad to be in the situation I'm in right now.

MiLB.com: What is your favorite aspect of playing in the Yankees organization and why?

BG: The fans. The fans are tremendous. At nine, 10 in the morning there are two thousand people here to watch us stretch. We love them and appreciate them and no matter where we're playing, whether it's New Hampshire or Kentucky or New York or New Jersey we always have fans there. There are always Yankee fans around.

"It really motivates you when you're in the Minor Leagues to see guys you're playing alongside get a chance. And I'm not speaking just for myself, I'm speaking for 150 other guys. When I became a part of this organization in 2005 it wasn't like this. Everybody was kind of like, 'I hope I get traded.' Now the way the system is being run, a lot of guys are getting opportunities. Even if it's just for a few weeks, all guys like us want an opportunity."

No comments: